8th Period Detention is a double block activity for students with unexcused 8th period absences. Periodically each quarter, a report of 8th period unexcused absences is run. Following the criteria below, students will be assigned to 8th Period Detention during 8th period. Students will receive an email letting them know and giving them a deadline to fix any mistakes with their teacher(s). If the absences are not cleared in time, the student will be assigned to a double block of Detention. Students may not be excused from Detention for any reason. Failure to show up for the whole period will result in a referral to the grade level administrator.
Absences are recorded for the year and DO NOT disappear after attending 8th Period Detention. However, assignment to detention is based upon attendance EACH quarter. Yearly totals are used by the administration for referrals (as outlined below), assigning leadership, mentorship, parking and other privileges.
8th Period Detention: PER QUARTER BASIS:
- If a student gets 2 or more absences in any QUARTER, they will be assigned to 8th Period Detention (8D)
- If a student gets any additional absences in the SAME quarter after attending 8D that quarter, they will be assigned to the next 8th Period Detention.
PLEASE NOTE: Students will get referred to an Assistant Principal (for possible additional consequences and/or Saturday detention) if any of the following apply:
- failure to show up for the detention period
- getting assigned to 3 8th Period Detentions in the year
- getting 5 or more absences in any quarter
- getting 10 or more absences in the year